Monday, April 12, 2010

More about Carli

* Carli is now fully potty-trained (hooray!), but a couple of weeks ago when she was still learning she was sitting on the potty whining about having to sit there. I passed by the bathroom and said "What do we do if something is hard?" She immediately began a sweet, simple prayer asking Heavenly Father to help her go potty on the potty. I thought she was just going to ask for my help, but she already knows she has a much more capable Parent.

* I made a blanket on Saturday which Carli immediately claimed as "Carli's blankie!" I told her it was for Gus but that I'd made one for her before she was born. I got it out of her closet (I had put it away since she'd grown too big for it) and gave it to her. She looked at me with very serious eyes and said, "Thank you so bery, bery much Mom!" She insists on sleeping with it now and every time she sees it says, "It's sooo beautiful!"

* Yesterday Logan came up behind me, put his arms around me, rubbed my belly and kissed my cheek. Carli saw it and said to her doll, "He loves her" very matter-of-factly. She also tells me quite frequently that she loves Dad and that he loves her. What could be better than a little girl who knows her daddy loves his family and a man who truly does love nothing more?!

These are the sweet things that Carli does. I also noticed a couple other things this week that I want to remember.

* Her friends were removing shoes and socks on the slide at the park and thoroughly enjoying watching them slide down (or get thrown down). Carli stood at the bottom cheering, then she collected the clothes and organized them quite nicely. She stuffed L.'s socks in her shoes and B.'s socks in his shoes and returned them to each. When do you know your kid is OCD? She can't go to bed now without making sure her milk is in the fridge, her books are on her shelf, the doors in her kitchen are properly closed and her blankets are exactly as she likes them. I guess it can't be too bad, she got in trouble in nursery yesterday for knocking over everyone's block towers.

* Now that she feels in control of the whole potty thing she has discovered a couple of things. She won't go anywhere other than home. At church yesterday she told me she'd wait until she got home to "Carli's little potty". (And she did.) But, when we're home she goes as often as possible, since we'd been using a sticker chart and she got a computer game when she filled up a row. Last night we had friends over for dinner and she seriously went like 10 times just during dinner to show off her new skills. Funny how quickly these little ones figure us adults out and learn to manipulate us. How will I ever keep up?


6 comments:

M and M said...

Carli is so cute, I love how she entertains Parker! Congrats on the potty training, and good luck with the only going at home :)

Ben and Anna said...

Ahh, the ocd train. I think it runs in the family. It took me a full year to break him of the toy and books being perfect thing....and he still can't have anything extra on his bed or it'll keep him up all night freaking out trying to get everything perfect!!! :)

Mitzi Beal said...

That is funny that she is so "OCD." I'm still amazed at her skills. She seems like a 5 year old to me.

Callie said...

Just watch her be OCD when she has a little sister to bug all of her stuff.... so much fun to look forward to!

And it is funny how much you want them to in the potty and then all of the sudden they do, and it is too much. At least she doesn't want to go in every grocery store toliet yet! What a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Cute stories. OCD... hahaha.. let me introduce you to some of my clients. It just sounds like she is used to a tidy mama and tidy surroundings ;o) As far as the block towers in nursery, I LOVE IT! Nursery is the best place to be! And blocks are always entertaining, hee hee hee hee hee!

Kathleen said...

I love the prayer on the potty. How precious. I will have to teach Lucy that trick. And the OCD moment truly hilarious.