A conversation from a few weeks ago:
Carli: Mom, did you put my hair in a ponytail?
Me: (Thinking fast because Carli has chosen to make ponytails a power struggle. If she doesn't know it's in a ponytail, it's no big deal, but if she knows it can be a major tantrum.) No, I put it in a unicorn tail.
C: NOOOO! I don't want a unicorn tail. . . . I want a yak tail.
M: A yak tail?!
C: Yes, because Yaks have braids.
The last few days we've been having an ongoing discussion about Carli wanting a pet.
Sunday:
C: I think we should get a pet.
M: Do you think we should get a cat or a dog?
C: A teeny tiny Shamu! (With a silly smile on her face.)
Monday:
Same conversation, only this time:
C: Cats scratch, so I think I want a dog.
M: Well, some dogs bite. So, if we got a cat we'd make sure it didn't scratch and if we got a dog we'd make sure it didn't bite.
C: How 'bout a goat? (This time she was serious.)
M: A goat?!
C: Yeah, they don't bite or scratch!
Tuesday in the car:
C: Cats scratch and dogs bite. . . . Babies scratch and pinch.
M: Well, babies don't mean to do that. They just like to grab anything they can reach. (Can you tell what stage Janie's in?)
C: (After thinking for a little while) We need another baby. A new baby.
M: (Laughing almost uncontrollably) You mean we should give Janie back?
C: Smiled like, "No. Now that you mention it, that does sound ridiculous, but it made sense at the time."
Carli adores her little sister and is so good to her, but I guess it doesn't make sense to her that we wouldn't get a pet that scratches, yet we already have a pet that scratches.
Wednesday, February 09, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
that is just hilarious -- the last one, especially. What a cutie! I love hearing the thoughts randomly rolling around in those darling little heads!
She cracks me up! Come on Kate, just get a goat for the girls!
that's awesome. you should get a baby shamu. keep it in the pool. or just get a cat and name it shamu. :)
I thought Carli knew it wasn't a unicorn tail because unicorn tails were curly! She is very lucky to have enough hair to put into a pony tail!
I love this! You better keep me updated on all the crazy things she says :)
Post a Comment