Carli had her appointment this morning. It actually went pretty well as far as her behavior. She is a stubborn little one though. Once she knew they kept trying to look at her left eye, she put her hand over it the whole time. The doctors were all really great with her and you can tell they love kids. It was a fun clinic with tons of great toys, things to do in the waiting room, great ways to get a little one to do what they want her to do, and plenty of kids with glasses on - of which Carli will now be one.
So, after several tests and eye drops, the ophthamologist determined that Carli's left eye is extremely far-sighted while her right eye is perfectly normal. He believes this has caused her left eye to become lazy as well as crossed. So, we are getting her glasses immediately. In a few months we will begin patching her right eye (the good one) to force her left eye to work (fixing the laziness) and to focus (fixing the cross). Hopefully, it will also improve the vision in that eye. We will now be at the ophthamologist around once a month where he will determine how the patch is improving the left eye and if it is affecting the right eye negatively and we will adjust from there. Down the road, if the glasses and patch have not cured the crossed-eye, we will consider surgery.
Now, this is all pretty much what I anticipated. But, I hadn't taken the time to really think about what it means. First, I have to figure out ways to get my 18-month-old to keep her glasses on. ??? How am I going to do that? Then I have to make her keep a patch on all day everyday for who knows how long - could be years. And she'll have to wear glasses/contacts for the rest of her life. I realize that's the way it is for anyone who wears glasses, but I didn't think about it starting now for my 18-month-old daughter. :( It just makes me kind of sad.
So, any words of advice? I'm sure I'll have plenty to say about this over the coming months.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That is crazy! I can't even imagine Corbin wearing glasses. He is a terror though. When we go for walks outside I can't even get him to wear a hat. It's bad. Okay this is not helpful but I'm sure the doctors will have some tips I really have no idea. Good luck.
Mitzi
Oh, I'm sorry you have to do all that. What a trial. My advice is to get the little band that hooks to the glasses and wraps around her neck so she can't pull them off as easily. My niece got glasses at 18 mos old and that helped. Good luck!
I know it will work out. . You might have to get one of those bands that hold the glasses tight to their heads so she doesn't rip it off. I'd get you a pair of fake glasses so she thinks she's being cool like you and maybe she'll wear them more. I don't know what else to say but good luck.
You will survive :)! It's tough though. Josh broke lots of pairs of glasses so I would suggest a kid proof warranty. We had one and it saved our sanity. As far as getting her to wear the patch, it is tough but bribery did wonders for Josh and lots of sweet talk. It is worth the hard work. Josh thanks us that we made him do it because now both his eyes work.
Kate, this is Jeff's mom.....remember me? Carli will thank you some day for dealing with this eye problem while she was young. I had a lazy eye which continued to get worse until I couldn't stand it anymore. My left eye did all the seeing while my right eye was off playing so, at age 56 I finally had eye surgery. Now both eyes look at piano music, read the words in a book, and I wish I hadn't waited so long!!!
Regarding your teaching piano, I have 18 students and LOVE the Alfred series of books. Good luck! I've taught for 20 years and the extra income has taken us on trips and out to eat and just fun "mad money." Word of mouth from your students parents is the best advertising. Good luck to you!
Post a Comment