Friday, April 25, 2008

It's Alive!!!

Things have come back to life around here finally. I had quite an adventure around the house this morning to inform me of that. I was so sad that I didn't take a picture of the whole fiasco, but here are a few to help picture it a little. So, it has rained A LOT here lately and we've been periodically checking our basement to make sure there is no flooding. I went down this morning to find
this
and this (and several other little frogs) and a tiny baby bunny who belongs to a bunny family that lives under our neighbor's deck that all got trapped together in our window well. I wish I'd gotten pictures of it, it was so cute - it could fit in the palm of your hand. So, I decided at least the little bunny needed help immediately (Logan can take care of the frogs when he gets home from work). I got a towel and a bucket and headed downstairs to the window (it was too deep for me to do from outside). Well, if you've ever tried to catch a bunny before, it's harder than you'd think. After trying unsuccessfully to catch the little guy for quite sometime the poor little thing jumped through the window into my basement! It found a nice little hiding place under the bottom step. After getting my morning exercise by chasing it around the basement for awhile, it finally got tired enough I caught it in my towel and let it go to find its little family. It was quite the adventure. Carli has no idea I'm training to be the next Steve Irwin while she naps. Here are some other things we've found living around our yard.
These little birds made a nest on the vent for our fireplace on our deck. There's always warm air coming out of it. I hope they liked it while it lasted, they'll have to move soon.
These flowers came up on their own in the front yard! (Not a great picture, they're yellow in real life.)
And something else is growing around here too. . .

Again, not great pictures but I love the look on her face. She looks like she wonders what I could possibly find so amusing to be taking pictures. She likes to hold on to the little toys on her tray and lean forward. She grins and gets excited like she's on a roller coaster ride. I can't believe she is 5 months old (yesterday)! How time flies. She is still on her "nursing strike" (which is really what it's called) and I'm about ready to quit. Anyone had this experience before who has any suggestions?

4 comments:

Callie said...

I can't believe how big Carli is getting! Who said being a homeowner wasn't fun? At least it was only one bunny in your basement, not the whole family... and not the frogs. Sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

This is a funny story!! I can picture you chasing a bunny. You always had a soft spot for animals. Don't you remember all the tadpoles that mom and dad let you "raise" into frogs?

Mallory said...

Yay for Spring and your window terrarium! I bet you are so happy the snow is gone. Around 5 months Carson sort of lost interest in nursing for a while. I still tried to nurse him at the normal times and eventually he decided he was into it again. Maybe Carli will be the same way. Good luck, these babies are all too often a mystery.

TheKeilShpeel said...

Carli is soo adorable. I love her crazy hair.

You have quite the animal collection :)