Monday, April 07, 2008

Home again, home again. . .

Well, Carli and I are home again. It was a wonderful trip and I was so glad to spend so much time with my family, especially my parents. I was sad to go, but I missed Logan like crazy, so I am happy to be with him again. The trip home wasn't all that fun though. What was supposed to be a 6 hour trip turned into a 36 hour trip. My flight was delayed, which meant I'd miss my connection and the other option that day just wasn't feasible, so I opted to wait and leave the next day. Again, my flight was delayed so I missed my connection and then the next flight I was supposed to be on was continually delayed, so I ended up sitting in O'hare airport for over 7 hours as the time just kept getting moved back and no one would tell us why. Luckily, Carli was an angel all day or I would have been going ballistic. After several hours in the airport and about 5 delays, an older woman came to me and said, "This question may sound weird, but have you eaten or been to the bathroom today?" Until then I thought I was managing pretty well, but she made me realize I hadn't been to the bathroom in about 12 hours. I started to cry. She offered to stand in front of the stall in the bathroom so I could see her feet while she held Carli. She held Carli for the next hour or so to give me some rest and Carli rewarded her with constant smiles and giggles. She was on her way to visit her two grandsons. What a wonderful lady!!! She told me I could repay her by doing the same for a young mother when I'm a grandmother. I will always remember her kindness.
In coming home I was glad to see there is NO SNOW on the ground! And it actually got into the 60s! We walked around our yard yesterday and there are plants BLOOMING! I never knew Spring would bring me such sheer joy! Other news is that Carli has now learned how to shriek in delight. It is the best sound in the world. She also has decided that she likes to listen to herself, and if that's the case she might as well do it loudly. My quiet little girl is no longer so quiet. But, I love it. Other than that, I have decided that since the snow has melted I no longer have an excuse to sit in my house without friends or activities to keep me busy. Anyone have suggestions for what a young mom can spend her time doing to make friends and have fun? I would love any and all ideas!

Here are some photos from our trip home:

Grandma and Carli telling each other stories.

Aunt Shanna and Carli telling each other stories.

Carli swinging from the tree (literally) in the front yard. I thought she looked so old hanging on to the rope like she knows how to do it by herself.

5 comments:

Kris and MaLanie said...

YEA! A new post! I actually had a dream about you the other night so I've been wondering how you guys are. I'm glad you finally made it home. What a nightmare! I'm going to call you in the next couple of days so we can catch up.

Michelle said...

I love the story about the lady that helped you at the airport. When I hear stories like that it inspires me to look around and help someone out. I'm glad she was there for you during that horrible trip home.

kera said...

were you by any chance flying american? there are quite a few people traveling from my office right now and are stuck trying to find flights home. crazy isn't it? i'm glad you made it safely though. and i'm glad i got to meet carli! love ya tons!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that there are angels that look after us!!

TheKeilShpeel said...

Carli has gotten so big. :) So cute..