Friday, August 22, 2008

9 months going on 2

Apparently developing opinions is one of the first developmental steps in a child's life. Ironically enough, becoming "submissive like unto a child" seems to only apply to adults. I guess I never got the memo that I'm the clay, not Carli. As you can guess, Carli never gave in, so I've spent the week being the one to deal with the "cold turkey" quit (physically, emotionally, etc). It didn't seem to affect her much - I guess that's a good thing. It must have been an easy decision for her to make, it sure was a quick one. If only I could get over it that quickly. . .

I realized that this is the first year ever that back-to-school has had little to no effect on me. It's kind of exciting! But, it has made me miss teaching a little bit too. We have had a few changes though. I just started working with a program for autistic children. I am training to be a therapist and I have loved it so far. I work with a 4-year-old boy who is adorable and I've already learned a lot. The training hours have meant that Carli has gone to play at other people's houses, and she's learned a few new tricks. She's on her knees more often (thanks to her 10-month-old friend), working on pulling herself up, and today when I was playing the cello she was dancing! It was the cutest! Luckily, after next week she and her dad will have some quality time while I go for just a few hours a week.

Our sleeping schedule has been somewhat interrupted with the Olympics. We can't get enough of them and we'll be sad when they're over on Sunday. Those athletes are all so amazing. It's made me think though - would I ever want my children to dedicate their lives to one thing like that? I haven't decided yet. . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am all for my children to make some green by going to the Olympics :). I am encouraging fencing!

If you needs hints about autism let me know. If you learn any new tricks let me know as well.

kera said...

just remember, independence is not a bad thing. right? i agree with shanna about the olympians. as long as you don't torture them when they are 2 or 3 to be able to do weird flexible things with their body so they can grow up to be gymnasts. something about that seems wrong to me...
but kayaking could be fun. or beach volleyball, if you're ok with the bikinis.

Dear Little Dude said...

Hi Cowans! WE sure do miss ya'll. BUt we will be there in town on the 17th of October-the 28th! We need to call and see when we can come by and relive the hearts games. I have been practicing, so get ready!