I think these two are the sweetest senior missionaries on the planet.
It was so fun to spend the morning with Tad having a Mother's Day breakfast with him.
This is what it looks like getting a 14-year-old ready for the 8th grade formal. Curlers, nail polish, on the phone. . .
It's all worth it in the end.
Man, she is a beauty! And smart, kind, and funny too. She's got it all!
Meanwhile, back at the church, this kid was winning the pinewood derby (along with his dad). He was so proud of his Cyber Truck.
I'm the luckiest mom on Mother's Day. I always get a delicious breakfast and sweet notes from the kids.
I sure love these sweet girls.
The end of the year chorus concert was especially emotional with the teacher leaving.
And Janie's band concert.
A couple weeks before the end of school, it was becoming apparent that Mom's health was deteriorating quickly. It was decided she would be admitted to a care facility and be put on hospice. I decided to make a quick trip to Cedar City to see her. It was such a bitter sweet experience that I will treasure always. This was one of the last times Mom smiled, just for Dad. There are so many emotions and thoughts, but I'm not sure I'll share them here.
I had a terrible time getting back home, but I made it and was able to see my girls' at their honors nights. They both came away with Principal's Honor Roll and Highest ELA grade.
The Saturday before school got out, Logan and the kids came to the school with me to help prepare my classroom for the coming year. I got hired to be the full-time Family and Consumer Science teacher at the middle school. While we were there, I got the text from Dad saying, "She's gone." It was a devastating, but beautiful moment when my own little family came together for a group hug.
This memory popped up on FaceBook, and it just made me think of Mom and the cute outfits she always got my girls.
It's funny to be grateful for a scar. But I hope this one will stick with me. It's a reminder of my last moments with Mom. She was so itchy and uncomfortable. She always wanted Dad to scratch her back. When I was with her and Dad was at home not feeling well, I scratched and rubbed her back for as long as I could. To the point that I rubbed my own skin raw. This scar connects me to my mom in a tangible, vivid way.
We let the kids get one last morning in at school, to say goodbye to teachers and friends for the summer, and then headed on our LONG road trip west.
When we went to pick up the boys from the elementary school, the girls were thrilled to see their QUEST teacher, Ms. Joey. While they were hugging, Milo (who also has Ms. Joey) stood back watching. After a bit he piped up, "I am also here."
Tad and Mrs. Janda.
Headed west.
These beautiful, pure white columbines popped up the day of Mom's funeral. They were full of meaning for Dad, and a sign of love from Mom, I think.
It was a beautiful day to remember a beautiful woman.
I love this photo with the flowers Tad collected for Grandma's coffin. Such a sweet memento.
It's funny how life goes on. Just when you think it couldn't mean anything anymore without one of the most important people, new life and new opportunities full of joy and love come along. We got to be part of Christian's proposal to Sarah, and it was such a blessing. These pictures back to back remind me of Steel Magnolias. I guess there must be truth in that story.
We decided to spend a few weeks with Dad to help him in this difficult transition. We explored beautiful Southern Utah and saw so many fun things.





No comments:
Post a Comment